ERINHA is recruiting a full time Data Scientist
Location : CCU Headquarters, Paris, France
Conditions : Full time contract under French labor Law, competitive salary and benefits package
The European Research Infrastructure on Highly Pathogenic Agents (ERINHA AISBL) is a distributed infrastructure aiming to enhance European preparedness and research response in tackling highly infectious emerging and re-emerging diseases. ERINHA aims to reinforce capacities for the study of RG-4 and unknown pathogens and supports cutting-edge research into the pathogenesis of human diseases caused by the most dangerous microorganisms as well as applied research to develop new therapeutic techniques, diagnostic tools and prophylactics.
It provides access to ERINHA RI members’ research facilities to all interested scientists with a relevant research project.
Since 2017, ERINHA operates under AISBL (International Non-Profit Association under Belgian law) status. The Central Coordinating Unit of ERINHA is hosted in Paris.
In the framework of ERINHA’s data activities and infrastructure’s participation in European projects related to data (notably EOSC-Life and ERINHA-Advance projects) ERINHA is looking to enhance its team by recruiting a data scientist.
The Data Scientist will define and implement ERINHA data strategy, manage all data related activities and be the technical representative for ERINHA in collaborative European projects (EOSC-Life, ERINHA-Advance).
DUTIES / FUNCTIONS
Reporting directly to the Director General, the Data Scientist will advise ERINHA management, decision-making bodies and the CCU team on data-specific technical aspects and related regulations.
He / She will be responsible for the definition and implementation of an ERINHA data strategy, as well as the overall management of ERINHA data sets (data access, reuse, preservation, processing & analysis, sharing, sensitive data management).
The Data Scientist will ensure technical representation of ERINHA in EC-funded, collaborative projects launched in 2019 in the frame of Horizon 2020: EOSC-Life and ERINHA-Advance. He / She will represent ERINHA in expert working groups.
The Data Scientist will be in charge of planning, modelling, designing, implementing, testing and documenting IT solutions, tools and services supporting health research using cloud-based systems.
Notably, he / she will be responsible for:
- the classification of the data according to the sensitivity criteria, size, type and format, as well as target users of the data,
- the implementation of ERINHA data catalogue (data / data resources),
- the development of cloud-compatible, FAIR-compliant data resources,
- the coordination and strategic development of software tools and frameworks for the generation and provision of installations of large, data integration platforms,
- the implementation of methodologies to restrict the access to highly sensitive data
- the provision of data repositories,
- the integration of repository / data access with workflows,
- data security, including data recovery, secure storage and methodologies for the transfer of (highly) sensitive data,
- the identification of the relevant e-tools and e-infrastructures for ERINHA data management
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE
- PhD / M.S in Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering or Data Analytics
- Experience in working with large data sets / big data (using e.g. HDFS, Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, Spark, Flink, Storm, Kafka)
- Experience with both structured and unstructured data (SQL and NoSQL technologies) using DBMS like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MongoDB, Cassandra, Couchbase, ElasticSearch, HBase; data modeling and metamodeling (annotations, ontologies, OWL2) as well as data tuning
- Extensive knowledge of modern IT architectures, including web-based technologies
- Knowledge of Java, C++ and Python. Proficiency or familiarity with other programming languages (e.g. R, Scala, Perl, Ruby) will be an asset.
- Experience with Machine Learning tools (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras ecosystems or RapidMiner), platforms and cloud-based systems
- Good knowledge of workflows (notions of CWL)
- Good knowledge of statistics analysis methods such as Lasso
- Experience with sensitive data is desirable (blockchain, homomorphic encryption)
- Experience working in the field of health research data management will be an asset (basic data anonymization technics)
- Knowledge of norms and standards, FAIR principles and, ideally, GDPR principles
- 5+ years of experience working in a similar position.
COMPETENCES AND LANGUAGE SKILLS
- Proficiency in English and good communication skills in French
- Ability to interact with multidisciplinary staff and facility users
- Ability to communicate complex, technical information in an easy non-expert language for health researchers and general public
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize
- Ability and willingness to work in a collaborative international research environment
- Willingness to travel regularly to coordinate with the project partners and other stakeholders
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
CONTRACTUAL CONDITIONS, REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
- The Data Scientist of ERINHA-AISBL will be based at the Central Coordinating Unit office in Paris (France).
- Competitive salary and benefits package, full-time employment contract under French labor law
- The initial period of employment for this position will be 1 year, renewable. Expected starting date in office for the Data Scientist: As soon as possible.
Please send your full application (CV and cover letter in English) to email@example.com (copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) no later than 31 December, 2019